Skip to content
Menu

National Poison Prevention Week

Half of all reported poisonings occur in children under age 6.

Written by Jennifer Dean Durning, CPNP Pentucket Medical Pediatrics

National Poison Prevention Week is a good time to review safety information regarding substances that can be harmful if they are used in the wrong way or by the wrong person. Poisons include common consumer products that are safe if used according to the directions on the label, but can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Common sources of poisonings that affect children are medications, household cleaners, alcohol, cosmetics, and plants. Continue reading “National Poison Prevention Week”

NATIONAL POISON PREVENTION WEEK

national poison prevention week

Did you know that poisonings are the #1 cause of injury related death in the US—most due to drug misuse or abuse?

  • In 2013 there were 2.2 million calls to Poison Control Centers concerning human related exposures to poisons with just under ½ of these calls concerning children under 6 yr old.
  • In 2013 more than 90% poisonings occurred at home.
  • In 2013 more than 70% of the calls to Poison Centers were treated at home thus saving billions of dollars in healthcare expenditure at emergency rooms.

Did you know there are 55 Poison Control Centers across the United States and they are available 24/7 every day of the year?

Poison Control Centers receive only a fraction of their funding through the federal government and have had significant funding cuts. Much of their funding is through state governments, hospital, and other agencies.

Did you know there is no such thing as a POISON PROOF home or environment? Children are often very capable of getting into what we, as adults, think are “child-proof”. ANY medication (prescription or over-the-counter) and almost any household product is potentially poisonous and capable of causing harm in some way.

KEEP 1-800-222-1222 programmed into your mobile phone and this number readily accessible by your home phone in case of any possible poisoning. AND CALL! They will give you advice on how best to handle the situation. It could not only be life saving it could be cost saving!